Sunday 2 October 2011

Falling in to Autumn - Sunday


Sunday mornings are bittersweet affairs when weekend camping. You have nothing to rush about for but you know you’re going to have to leave; the ecstasy and the pain. Talking of pain, it was taters outside, only 5C when I staggered out of bed and the sun had been up an hour by then, that’s not right for October 2nd. Still, it made my short walk to the comfort station quite bracing and make me keep up a reasonable pace as I took a stroll around the site after showering.

Such a neat and tidy site!

Lunch was early so that we could be making tracks as checkout was 2pm, but we just couldn’t really raise the tempo to get an earlier start, after all why should we?

Breaking camp and hitching up is getting to be quite an easy task these days, especially when it’s just us two. We’re tidy campers so there wasn’t a great deal to pack up outside and we were hitched up and ready to go just as the rain started. We were accosted by a fellow camper who made the usual enquiries about how we could tow such a heavy trailer with our Minivan but I’m also getting used to that so I told him about our modifications and showed him the hitch and he seemed suitably impressed. To be fair, no one has said “you can’t tow that with that” but I still enjoy seeing people looking impressed. Of course, flushed with my own comprehensive towing knowledge, I set off for the dumping station having forgotten to fit the extension mirrors to the car. Doh!

Dumping was a thrill this time because I think the campground’s sewer holding tank was quite full. When I pulled on the valve to empty the poo tank, the horrible brown soup came back up the access pipe in the ground a bit and I had to be sharp to get my feet out of the way in time. However, these dumping stations are designed to cope with this sort of thing so the application of some water from the attendant flushing hose had the problem sorted. That’s the first time that’s happened, which isn’t bad for a whole season.

Back on the road and the rain and wind were as bad as ever as we headed west again. I missed the turn to get back to the Highway but we decided that we’d stay on the minor road all the way home today. Even though it’d take longer, we’d save gas and have a more interesting drive and so it turned out to be. We stayed on what is known as the Talbot Trail and enjoyed the unfamiliar towns on the way and smiled knowingly as the average fuel use figure crept slowly downward (given that it was recording litres per 100 kilometres where a lower number is better). As we progressed, even the rain cleared away.

Despite the weather, that was a pretty good weekend. We really don’t deserve the rain and the wind and the cold, it’s been a pretty wet season so I thought we’d be due a bit of a break from that. Still, we’ll probably have one more run out this season, before we have to put our baby into hibernation. Who do I have to see about getting some fine and dry weather arranged?  

No comments:

Post a Comment